Sunday, January 29, 2012

Las Meninas

Hello everyone, today I will be glad to talk you about my favourite piece of art. Well this is a very interesting topic for me, because I have share with an artist all my life; my father, and well I suppose that something of artist flows in my veins. After to think a lot to make my choice, my favourite piece of art is “Las Meninas” by Diego Velazquez. This is a painting of a Spanish artist, finished at year 1656. I saw it for first time the past year, and my father was the person that showed to me. He explains me what was behind the painting and I was startled. This painting represents the royal family of Felipe IV, and the principal character is “La infanta Margarita de Austria”. Why this painting is amazing for me? Because the technique that was used to pint it. If you can see the Painting very close, you will see that Diego Velazquez just use little strokes to give form to the characters, then you think, how with a so simple technique can make that effect so real?
On the other hand, there is another thing that impressive me. If you see the painting very carefully you will see that the men who is painting, and then you see the mirror behind the room, you can deduce that the men is Diego Velazquez and he is painting the Kings of Spain, because they are the persons that appear in the mirror. Of course you can give your own interpretation to the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment